Winter weather update
At least for the Piedmont Triad region, Winter Storm Jonas has been underwhelming and luckily it will continue to follow that trend.
At one point Thursday night, the National Weather Service was anticipating and predicting upwards of 9 inches of snow – yes, snow, not sleet – for Elon’s area specifically. That number has since dropped to 1-2 inches, largely due to unpredictable changes in the storms trajectory and an upper level of warm air (thus, the sleet).
Moving through tonight, you can expect intermittent snow and snow showers likely to eke out another inch of snow.
Regardless, as Gov. McCrory continues to emphasize, travel is not advisable, at least through tomorrow. It’s better not to drive unless you absolutely have to.
Four winter-weather related traffic fatalities have already occurred in the region.
On campus, here’s what you can expect:
- Moseley Center will remain open through the night until 1 a.m. Saturday.
- Campus Recreation will be open until 10 p.m. Friday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday.
- Health Services will be open Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; students should call (336) 278-7230.
- Belk Library will be open until 8 p.m. Friday, and from noon until 8 p.m. on Saturday.
- Danieley Tram will operate Noon until 8 p.m.; the Biobus will not be in operation.
- Saferides will not be operating.
In terms of dining, here’s what you can expect:
- Lakeside Dining Hall will remain open until 8 p.m. Friday, and will open again at 11 a.m. Saturday.
- Acorn will be open until 8 p.m. Friday, and from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Topios will be open until 8:30 p.m. Friday, and open again at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
- Qdoba will be open until 8:30 pm Friday, and open again at 3 p.m. on Saturday.
- Einstein’s will open at 11 a.m. (at the latest) on Saturday
- Biscuitville will open at 11 a.m. (at the latest) on Saturday.
Lastly, these are the Activities and Events that will still be held Friday:
- Womens Basketball v. College of Charleston, 7 p.m., Friday.
- IV Night of Fun, East Gym and McBride Gathering Space, 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. Friday.
- SUBlive: Poetry Slam, Oak House, 7 p.m. Friday.
And, finally, on Saturday:
- SUBcinema will be showing Clueless (free hot cookies), Moseley Center, 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Mens Basketball v. James Madison University, Alumni Gym, 7 p.m. Saturday.
- SUBcinema will be showing The Intern, Moseley Center, 9 p.m. Saturday.
- Alls Well that Ends Well may be performed. Look out for an announcement.
For further information, check your email regularly, and also check your student media. ELN and the Pendulum will be updating Facebook, Twitter, and their respective websites regularly using the hashtag “#elonsnow”.
Above all else, stay warm, and enjoy the day off.